Ann Dannatt (1919-2019) was born in York to Steelworks Industrialist Basil Doncaster and his wife Mary, and lived in Sheffield, the youngest of four siblings. Ann attended Polam Hall School then trained at the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors in Housing Estate Management.
Ann met and married George Dannatt (1915-2009) in 1943. George was a chartered surveyor in the family business Blake and Dannatt at that time. They embarked on a 66 year discovery of art, music and literature, inspired by Modern British and European art; energised by George’s own ambitions as a painter. A significant proportion of their collection, art library and archive was donated to Pallant House Gallery and Southampton City Art Gallery between 2011 and 2013, when Ann became a Patron of Pallant House Gallery.
Ann was well known for her generous hospitality and love of the natural environment. As a young child she was always adventurous spurred on by her older brothers. The Wiltshire home that Ann shared with her husband George highlighted the other aspects of her life as a keen traveller, geologist, gardener and her taste for simple, pared back Modernist design.